Saturday, July 4, 2009

Pitter Patter... My Heartz a Flutter... :) ... :) ...


Okay.. its been a long sabbatical, and I'm back. :) As i have always maintained, i blog only when i feel the words flowing, when something that moves me deeply (in a good way or otherwise) happens. And this time it was nothing less than rains.... :) .. :) .. Rainssssssss... :) :) ...

Guess i will cut the chase and come to what i want to write... :) ..

Rains... aaahh.. we all have so so so many emotions attached with this lovely phenomenon of Mother Nature. I LOVE RAINS, and it would not be an overstatement if i said that i go mad when it rains. :P Rains hit that soft spot for me.. no matter how bad my mood is.. or how bad my day was, they never fail to cheer me up... :) ..

Last year, due to my office, i was not able to go out and have fun in the rains. But, this year i'm on study leave, and i was waiting for it to rain heavily since the past few days. I was determined to make up for the lost opportunities last year.. seeing that it was pouring from the office windows and then forcing myself back to work !! As i woke up today, Heavens greeted me with the lovely sight of a heavy downpour, and no sign of letting up. The whole sky was covered with gray rain filled clouds and the sun seemed to have taken a day off. I studied for a while sitting by the window, but after a while, i couldn't keep myself from going out in the rains any more. I changed into clothes more apt for the weather, literally jumping and running to do it quickly, and then rush out. :D .. :D.. But, then i thought of calling a few friends and to find if any one was willing to accompany me for a bike ride in the rains. I was greeted with no answers and lazy greetings of sleepy people. No one agreed. I even tried to go online and find a person who was willing. Still no one..!! Dude..a bike ride in the rains...!! Had someone offered me the same..i would have grabbed it with both hands..!!

So then, i set out on my own. I had decided to go all the way to Nariman Point from my home on my bike. Its around 25 kilometres one way. 25 kilometres of bliss in the rains. A friend asked me..what will you do alone ??!! And i said.. who is alone ?? Its going to be Me... and.. Rains..!! :D (I told you.. I go mad when it comes to rains... :P) I started at around 10.30 and it had been raining heavily since early morning. The thing that mumbai roads are prone to water logging was going through my mind. And at a low lying area called 'Hindmata Flyover'.. that gets flooded after heavy rains for as less as an hour, i was greeted with a long line of vehicles. JAM...!! 'There goes my fun filled day..", I thought. But then i decided to follow the cars, and since i was on a bike, chances of it getting stalled were much lesser. The water level kept rising and at an intersection, i saw certain cars take a 'U' turn and turn back. A completely water filled road awaited me. I almost turned back, but then i saw a car that had almost turned back just like me, decide to go for it. I followed suit. And, i was greeted with 3 feet of water, the water trying to kill my dear bike's engine..!! I trudged along, not knowing what would i do if it stalled. I had no experience in driving vehicles in such a situation, and hence just drove ahead resolutely. Cops were guiding vehicles away from the open manhole covers...making it even more creepy. Eventually, I managed to reach the end of the water filled stretch, feeling victorious, and also lucky after seeing the number of stalled bikes, buses and cars standing at the end of that treacherous stretch. I saw media vans and photographers trying to find food to satiate the voracious apetite of their 24*7 news channel bosses. More Happiness !! I stopped for a minute to marvel at the experience that felt like an experience, and then moved on.

The rest of the journey was uneventful and it was also stopping to rain. So, i was praying for a heavy downpour. And soon after i reached the picturesque marine drive, my prayers were answered. The skies opened and it started to pour !! I was ecstatic !! :) :) ... I walked till the end of the marine drive enjoying the angry sea waves trying to run over the rocks and reach the promenade filled with rain loving people like me and couples coochi-cooing under the umbrellas. :P. Inspired by a friend.. I call them 'Marine Drive ke chattri couples' :P :P .. I spent a lot of time there..walking back, sitting on the walkway, and walking again to the tip... getting soaked in the downpour all the while.. :D. I was blissfully away from everything else... no cell fone, no watch. Only me..the rains..and the sea!!

After around 2 hours, I grabbed a quick bite (i came to know what time it was after seeing a watch at the place I had my food), and decided to return home from some other route to avoid going by that road again, since i was sure it wouldn't be possible to get through this time, given that the rains hadn't stopped since i had passed there, and the water logging would have increased. The ride back home was even more fun as the rains were coming down even harder.. :D ...

I'm having difficulty in writing this, since the skin of my fingers is all pickled due to the hours & hours in rains. But, what the hell... I had a ball today.. :D :D. It was a wonderful day away from all gadgets and worries, with the rains washing away all my worries and doubts, and invigorating me for the struggle that lies ahead. :) And it still continues to pour....Looks like a sunday at home for mumbai tomorrow. Aaaahh.. I love rains... :) :) ... they make my heart flutter and dance and sing and what not..!! :) ...

Pickled Fingers - :P

(I didn't take my cell phone along.. so don't have any pics. I took this one after getting back home, as a memoir of the ecstatic day.. :D..)

PS - An Important Tip - If you decide to go for a ride on a 2-wheeler in the rains.. please make sure that you have protective eye gear. The rain drops can be quite painful for the eyes, even at 30 Km/Hr speeds.

PPS - I have drawn a lot of flak for not blogging frequently from my friends. I apologize for my long absences from writing posts, replying to comments and posting comments on your blogs. I would try to be more regular in future.

Cheers.. :) ...

22 comments:

IceMaiden said...

FINALLY!!!!

lazy frnds, cz they are asleep at d times u call them. long work hrs u see... hehehe...

n also, cz u stay soooo far, :P :D who has d patience to travel whn a hot coffee awaits hereby

nicee!!! u had fun...lets go some othr day. :) :)

tc,
luv,
Annie.
P.S: sriously, wht did u do alone? lolz. :P

Potterager said...

What a Refreshing read.. I can fill the smell of wet mud :P

Have some mercy on Delhi too ,Rain Gods :[

Deepika said...

'Marine Drive ke chattri couples' lolz...
m feeling jealous.. :P :P
i wish so much to grab such chance...
Ohh rain come here now... Someone is waiting here too :) :)
It was great to read something from your side after such a long break.... Wish u more of such moments in future :D :D
take care..

GS =D said...

ok.. need to say loadsa things..

firstly.. u NEVER told me about the plan.. you could have simply messaged me.. I usually dont take the calls in the morning coz of my classes :-S

Secondly.. Hindamata.. hahaha.. u know.. I lived so close to it! Now we've shifted though!

Thirdly.. even i enjoyed today!.. such an awesome thing!.. i loooooove rains.. the smell.. the sight.. everything.. plus i had company ;-) :P and then.. all the drama.. but i eventually did reach home! in one piece.. ;)

Rains are ammmmmaaaazing!

-GS =D

GS =D said...

Ack!.. one more thing!

I hear Thunder
I hear thunder..

Oh DOn't you..
Oh Don't you..

Pitter Patter rain drops
Pitter Patter rain drops

I am wet through
I am wet through!

=P

Netika Lumb said...

:) So finally you get to enjoy your rains, I mean enjoy Mumbais rains :)
Good for you, considering your mad love for them :P

bondgal_rulz said...

Not fair, not fair!!

Me wants rains too. Me wants to ride a bike too!!

But happy for you, for you seem to have enjoyed loads. :)

Cheers

Anurag Bhateja said...

Long drive in rain, fun on bike... I am missing rain... getting envy on you :(

Damn send some rains here :D

I ope you enjoyed the rains a lot !!

Anonymous said...

aha!...refreshing read...I love rains too ...I didnt miss a single rain till my 12th grade....and now at office I crave to be outside when it does...rain :)

Unknown said...

made me imagine it all..and now m fascinated just by the thought of it..!! :P

Punk Princess said...

I'll say dis again, you must check out Happy Days [telugu muvee] coz only then u will know why i want you to see it!
psst: it's all about rains and bike rides.

The pickled fingers were scary! all wrinkled and pallid, gosh. :P

loved the part when you get crazy and kudos for going out on your on. something i would have done too.
Nothing like getting drenched in the rains.
I also enjoy sitting by the window while it rains outside, reading a book and having a cup of coffee. :)

It really doesnt seem u were scared of the water logging on the contrary it seems u were hoping ki kuchh toh adeventure ho :P

btw, you should have grabbed your 30 secs to fame with those reporters lurking around. ;)

may god bless ye wid many such detours. :D

Karan said...

@ Annie - Ya right..!! you try to 'flaunt' that u are working these days... abhi naya naya hai na.. let it sink in.. fir dekhnege... :P... lazy girl..!! :P.. hot coffee n a day out in th rains r simply incomparable.. a hot coffee in th rains at marine drive is wht i wud prefer..!! :P...

we wud go sme othr time.. pakka.. :) ..

n i had lots of fun... it was rains that were important.. and not having company.. :)...

Karan said...

@ Mansi - Thank you so much.. :) .. n rejoice.. rains r finally there in delhi.. :)

Karan said...

@ Deepika - jealous ??!! wht r u thinking ha ?? *wink wink * :P...

n it seems th rains answrd the request of the person who was waiting.. :) .. n many more who too were waiting for them.. :)

i too was happy to post aftr this break.. :) ..

thanks for your wishes..

Karan said...

@ Gaargi -

i didnt msg u coz i was gettin super excited.. cudnt hv waited fr getting a reply... and i was going to leave my cell phone behind.. anyways chuck it.. :) .. maybe some other time.. :) ..

dont tell me you lived near hindmata..!! it is like perpetually flooded.. it rains fr an hour.. budubudub.. hindmata flooded.. :P...

and im glad you too had a good time.. rains are so lovable ya.. :) .. everything becomes so nice n beautiful in rains.. i dont give a damn to what other things which some might not like that come along.. coz i simple choose to overlook..!! :)..

im glad you reached home fine.. :) .. such unique experiences can happen only in rains.. :) ..

I agree completely... rains are AMAZINGGGGG.. :) :) ..

Karan said...

And ya.. cute poem.. :) .. pitter patter.. pitter patter.. im going all chatter chatter.. :P ...

Karan said...

@ Netika - yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .... im so glad..!! :D :D.. some people say that im a peacock.. !! start dancing in th rains.. :P :D...

Karan said...

@ Isha - go grab a bike n hit th road.. dont wait for anyone.. :) ... if you dont know how to ride one.. thn find someone who knows how to.. and is crazy about rains as well.. and go have ball..

and if even that doesnt work.. come to bby.. you would find all 3 things here.. rains.. bike.. n a crazy rain loving biker.. :D :D...

Cheers.. :D..

Karan said...

@ Anurag... now is your time... go hit th road.. :D :) ...

sure .. i had loads of fun.. :)

Karan said...

@ Vandana - :) ... Thank you... :) :) ..

not even a single day ??!! lolz.. looks like i have competition.. :) :) ... whoz more crazy about rains competition.. :P ..

and i so know what you are talking about.. staring outta th window wanting to go out in the rains.. and not being able to... its pathetic..!!

i hope you would be able to get a few days to do that.. :) ..

Have fun.. :) ...

Karan said...

@ Devika - now you dont need to imagine anything.. go out n have fun.. :) :) ...

Karan said...

@ Punk Princess - i would do that.. :) .. pakka.. :) .. rains n bikes.. lolz.. it has got all th elements to attract me..!! :) ...

pickled fingers are scary ??!! lolz.. thatz wht happens after spending 6 hours in rains.. :P :D...

as far as going crazy is concerned.. well.. thatz wht rains do to me.. :P :D.. i had to go out alone.. it was just way too alluring.. company or no company.. it didnt matter.. :) .. i had a completely different experience alone.. :) ...

reading a book by the window and sipping coffee would come second on my list.. :) .. first is going out there and having fun.. :D .. only thing different would be that my coffee would be cold.. hot coffee singes my tongue.. :P ...

and yes.. i did enjoy it a lot.. n would do so more in future.. coz now i know what needs to be done in future.. got a few tips from Dad..

one tip was.. when you come across heavy flooding.. you should switch off the bike and drag it through th flooded stretch.. and once you are out.. start th vehicle again.. and it would run normally.. !! :) .. it normally stalls coz th place where air is sucked into th engine goes underwater.. and that stops the engine.. this wouldn't happen if you shut th engine ad drag th vehicle.. :) .. but this will obviously not work for a 4 wheeler.. :) ..

and 30 seconds of fame ??!! why would i want to do that.. ?? it would happen in due time.. and it would be more than 30 seconds.. :) ...

Amen to that.. :)..