Thursday, May 1, 2008

Childhood Memoirs...An Ode............

I wanted to write something on this topic since a long time...in one of my previous posts i mentioned about my grandparents...but it turned out to be smethng which made me and others who read it sad...mayb it reflected the feelings i was feeling at that time...so i would like to post something which would bring a smile on my face...and on all the faces who would read it...im going to wirte somethings which made me smile...and which i hope would help me feel better when i would not be feeling so nice...

so here goes...an effort to relive some of those sweet childhood memories...an effort to preserve them...

the first thought that comes to my mind when i think of my childhood is my Dadu...ohh the very mention about him makes me smile...i was the first child in my family after a gap of exactly 20 years...the first grandchild...so i was showered with love from my all my family members...i was given various nick names...one from each of my family member...n i was closest to my Dadu...the way his face used to get lit up with a radiant smile when he used to see me...it still lits up my day...i lived with him in the same house during the first few years of my life...he used to love me more than anything else...i remembr a few incidents...

th time i used to return from my school in the afternoon...i used to be famished due to the sweltering heat of ahmedabad...n he used to wait for his 5 year old grandson to return...he would not go for his afternoon nap...he used give me a bath...feed me with his own hands....n i used to jump around the house...on the bed...n he used to see me...smile...n then we used to go off to sleep together...

then there were thos times when we used to go to see the circus...he used to take me...and my mom would be like "beta dont eat ice cream or chocolates..." n wat my dadu wud do is buy me all the chocolates and ice creams that i wanted...and then he used to wipe my face off...clear away the "evidence"... :P ...partners in crime... lol... i recall one particular incident when he took me to an ice cream parlour...n he bought me an ice cream...i ate it joyously..n thn i said..."Dadu ek aur"....n Dadu smiled...he got one more ice cream... n agen i ate it...relishing it... and... wheni was done...he asked me... "Ab chalen ??" ... n i smiled...wickedly... :P ...."Dadu ek aur".... lol...he smiled at me...n got me one more ice cream.... i ate it ...n was finally content... n so was Dadu...it was evident from his smile... :)

n then we movd...my dad got a transfer and we moved...we never "lived" in the same house after that.......

my Dadu n Dadi used to visit us...in Bhavnagar...n in our other house in ahmedabad...they used to get chocolates n biscuits...toys...all th thngs tht bring a joy on a child's face...they used to travel so far...n given their age...im sure it would not have been easy...but i think th joy of seeing their grand children(my kid bro n me) would have been too luring...they used to take us to the market...buy whatevr we used to ask for... my first carrom board...Dadu got it for me...i still have it...we still play... n enjoy...

they used to take us to temples...tell us stories in the night before sleep...teach us to pray...tell us little things...they instilled values in us...my grandparents and my parents...all the members of my joint family...th values which will stay with me all through my life...n help us see the troubled times through...

my Dadi..ohh Dadi...she was such a sweet heart...she had sme health problems...n cudnt walk easily because of her knee...she used to feel so much pain while climbing the stairs...but tht didnt deter her from moving all around the house to prepare sweets and other thngs for us...for all the family members....she was an excellent cook...used to make food that im never going to get to relish ever again...she used to make "Mithai" and so many other thngs and would bring them for us...she used to climb the stairs of the house...we dint have any elevators in the two storeyd building...she used to take half n hour to climb...but used to brave it for us....ohh Dadi....she used to stack up the house with those huge containers...with all the things i used to like...used to pamper us...pamper us big time...those weekends with our grandparents used to the highlight of the week... :)

n thn thr was this time when the house was in a mess...n my granma was a perfectionist...she used to say "agar ghar mein koi aa gaya toh...??? th house shud be in a perfect state at all times...!!" :) ... so the house was in a mess...n she told me to change the bed sheet...i was so annoyed...i said ok...n when she tried to tell me how to do it...i said..."no...i will do it on my own..." n i ended up makin a mess... i looked up at my Dadi...n we broke into a laugh... lol... then she taught me how to do it... perfectly... n to this day...no one can take out a flaw when i spread the bedsheet in my home... all thanks to Dadi...

i dint get to spend as much time with my maternal grandparents...we used to visit Nana n Nani in our summer vaccations...the whole gang of cousins...we have a big family...so the whole house used to get filled up with kids n their momz running behind them... n Nani used to love it...she would cook delicious things for all of us...she would get up early in the morning n extract fresh "Makkhan" using that strange contraption tht she had...n she used to feed that to us...would make sure we ate it...she used to tell us "you have to eat it...how else will you become strong ???!!"

we used to surround her and jump around...she used to sit in the centre...n all th kids used to shout "Meri Nani...Meri Nani....!! " n my cousins used to shout "Meri Dadi...Meri Dadi..." :P lol...

Nanu was soooo sweet...he wouldnt speak much to us...he was ailing n used to live in a separate room...i think he used to fear that he might harm us young kids coz of his ailments...he used to care so much for us...he used to get chocolates n biscuits n wat not....but he wud never give it to us directly...he gave it to Nani...n she used to pass it on.... :) ... he used to get all those things right before the time when we used to leave...to return back to our homes...to ensure that his daughters would not have trouble regarding food....

Tomorrow its the death anniversary of my Nani...2nd of May...Miss you Nani...Miss you all...

In the fond memory of My Grandparents...Love You all...

5 comments:

bondgal_rulz said...

i dunno wht lies after death...bt m sure wherever ur grand parents are...they are proud of u....n if heaven has access to internet....they ll b in tears after readin this particular entry :)

joyeeta said...

That is a sweet and touchie memoir Karan.It makes me realize how far we've come.Time just flies by.

Karan said...

@ Isha... :) ... no tears pls... only a smile... :) ...

@ Joyeeta... i wrote this to freeze these lovely memories in time... to help me smile whn i wud feel low...

and yes.. time definitely does fly... bt we hvnt com far.. i feel ...we hv evolvd frm this.. our grandparents n parents hv made us the persons that we r today... :) ...

IceMaiden said...

ill tell u somethng? i never had grandparents.. not from either side.. n i LOVED ur post.. made me wish i had grandparents lik urs!! :)

Lovely Post!!

Cheers,
Annie.. :)

Karan said...

:) .. So be it..!! Your wish is granted... :) ..

Cheers...